Monday, May 19, 2008

5 weeks to the Midnight Sun Marathon


My birthday present this year is being able to run the Midnight Sun Marathon in Tromsø, Norway. On top of that, I have my folks arriving at the end of this month, so they will be making the trip with us as well.
We leave on Friday evening, 20 June 08, and then will spend Saturday resting as much as possible. The start of the race is 20:30 on Saturday 21 June.

This is the least prepared I have ever been for a race before. After slogging on the occasional 2 or 3km runs, I decided in March that it was time to set a real goal for myself - and then google landed me my life's dream: The Midnight Sun Marathon, exactly 16 weeks away, only just enough time to scrape some basic training together to be able to cross the finish line. My training has been the lazy man's route, opting for the least effort to get me through the 42kms in under 5:30.

I first heard of the MSM while chatting to a runner during a half marathon in JHB yonks ago - ever since then I had the dream that one day, ONE day, I will run in the arctic circle under the midnight sun!

No comments:

Post a Comment